Monday 28 October 2013

Movie Review : The Great Gatsby


'The Great Gatsby' is like watching a poorly made music video. When the lyrics say, "I came in like a wrecking ball.", the lead singer literally comes in sitting atop a wrecking ball. No subtlety.

So, old sport, before I begin I must tell you I've neither read the original novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald nor seen any other adaptation of 'The Great Gatsby'. I think that is the reason why I was able to enjoy this movie as the story was unknown to me. Apart from the story, everything in this movie is excessive to the point that it is a distraction from what is going on in the story. The visuals are in-your-face and the performances in many parts are over-dramatic and animated. I thought the movie was trying to portray how hollow people of the aristocracy and those enjoying the profits of the economic boom of the 1920s were. There is some attempt at social commentary here as the rich at lavish parties are contrasted with poor masses. But in its portrayal the movie gets carried away and gives preference to style over substance.


Nick Carraway(Tobey Maguire) moves to Long Island in a cottage and his next door neighbour is the mysterious Mr.Gatsby (LDC). Across the bay lives Tom Buchanan and his wife Daisy who is Nick's cousin. Daisy and Gatsby have some romantic history and Gatsby throws lavish parties each weekend at his house in the hope that she may wander in someday. Gatsby's attempts to win her back have tragic consequences. All the events are presented to us as a narrative by Nick some years later who is writing to cope with the events that had tragic consequences.

"My life, old sport, my life... my life has got to be like this [Raises index finger diagonally upwards]
...It's got to keep going on."

Literally Speaking…
From the beginning the visuals in the movie are loud and assertive and they are unapologetic about it. Tis' as if the filmmakers were trying to outdo the literal description that must be in the novel. And as if this was not enough, some scenes even have words the literally written on the screen. For example, the narrator in the novel might be generalizing some events like how "high over the city our yellow windows must've contributed their share of human secrets to the casual watcher in the street. And I was him too, looking up and wondering. I was within and without. Enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life." So, the filmmakers throw and slap you with visuals that are nothing but the literal transformations of the dialogues.("I came in like a wrecking ball.")

credits : Cyanide and Happiness

What is more, many of these scenes are done using green screen and CGI (that is not that great). To stress the carefree life of the people in those times, rap music is used throughout, maybe to give an edgy feel. All these contribute nothing to the narrative and are only distracting.

Like I said, old sport, as I did not know the story it was the only thing I enjoyed about the movie. The performances were also good. LDC portrays the mysterious Gatsby and successfully captures all his vulnerabilities. Like all his films, there is a shouting scene in this one too. Give the man his Oscar. Toby Maguire is good in the role, so are the remaining cast. Nothing remarkable or exceptional.


Rating : 6.0/10.0 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top